Re: Oracle Vs. Dbase

From: <mpir_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 07:52:30 -0600

Not to start a war, academically speaking neither Oracle or dBase is 'a true relational database.' I will concede/agree that Oracle is closer in its underlying technology/file structure, but both fall short.

Oracle still depends on record-like tables/files instead of relationship definitions. dBase uses a separate file/object for each table.

In language they are about equally relational. Relational doesn't mean SQL, it means processes by set theory. dBase does sets just as SQL does sets.

I have been working with dBase since the dark ages of dBase II 2.4 for CP/M (I still have the 8" distribution diskette) and with Oracle since the middle ages of O 5.0. They are getting better/closer to relational, but they are not really there yet........