Re: Oracle and Ingres on HP-UX

From: Bob Young <rcyoung_at_groupz.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 10:26:00 -0400

I currently have HP/UX 10.2 installed with sybase and Oracle 7.3.X running. While not an exact match for what you are looking for, I can give you a heads up on one thing. Be generous with the memory you purchase for the HP system. Two major databases at one system really chew up the memory resources.

Also, one big difference you may run into on Unix is that Oracle will reserve semaphores /shared memory for itself. If the database 'crashes' during you early testing/installation, the OS will not release these and you will be unable to restart the database (it thinks a database with the same name is already running). You need to use ipcs and ipcrm commands to locate and remove the 'old' set. Then you can restart. You can also reboot and get the same effect.

Laura Cooksey wrote in message <6gt8l7$s59$2_at_camel15.mindspring.com>...
>My Navy office is thinking about migrating a large number of Ingres
>applications from Ingres 6.4/05 on VAX/VMS 6.2 to Oracle on HP-UX. From a
>DejaNews search, I see that Ingres and Oracle can be run on HP-UX at the
same
>time, despite rumors to the contrary.
>
>We'd like to migrate to OpenIngres 1.2 and run that in parallel with Oracle
>7.3 until our migration is complete. The HP system runs HP-UX 10.2.
>
>Has anyone out there run this particular combination, or something close?
Did