Re: SQLPlus Connection Timeout Parameter?

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 13:53:36 GMT

Although this is from the Net8 manual, this still applies to your version of SQL*Net:

<snip>
The optional server paramter, SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME, determines how often the network listener sends a probe to verify that a client-server connection is still active. If a client is abnormally terminated, a connection remains open indefinitely, unless identified and closed by the system. If you specify this parameter, the network listener sends a probe periodically to determine whether there is an invalid connection to terminate. If the network listener finds a dead connection, or a connection no longer in use, it returns an error, causing the server process to exit. This parameter must be set in the SQLNET.ORA file on the server.
</snip>

I don't know IPX/SPX very well, but there may be some native mechanism in the underlying transport protocol which also does dead connection detection (akin to the NT TCP/IP registry settings "TcpMaxConnectRetransmissions" and "TcpMaxDataRetransmissions").

Another thing you may want to check out is that you don't have too low of a setting for IDLE_TIME in your user profiles (if you're using it at all).

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998 07:08:40 -0400, "Dave Kurt" <davekurt_at_grfn.org> wrote:

>Due to tremendous amounts of network traffic, I am continually dropping my
>connection with my oracle server, over sqlnet v2 on an SPX network. I hope
>to have the traffic issues remedied in the next couple of weeks, however
>meanwhile I'm hoping it possible to tweak a couple of sqlnet parameters to
>force oracle to keep retrying the server, beyond the current number of
>retries (whatever those may be). Any thoughts? Anyone else run into
>simliar problems?
>
>Thanks,
>Dave Kurt

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Tue Apr 14 1998 - 08:53:36 CDT