Re: Oracle performance decrease using Access7

From: Troy Perchotte <perchott_at_nospamdigitalcourier.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 20:32:52 -0700

I have two NUMBER fields, both length of 10 with 0 Precision. The remaining 8 fields are all CHAR datatype with lengths of 50, 60, 60, 60, 20, 2, 30, and 10.

The server is a Dual Pentium machine with two 100MhZ processors. It's running NT Server 4.0 and Oracle Workgroup Server 8.04. Since this server is a test server, there is very little traffic happening from it.

The client machine that I am operating from is a P-120 running NT Workstation 4.0 with Oracle Client 8.04, connected to the server through a 10BaseT LAN.
.
Access 7 is connected via the Oracle 8.00.0400 ODBC driver.

I tried asking Oracle about this issue, but was told that since the ODBC test was instantaneous that I would have to talk to Microsoft. The Microsoft Access team were unable to resolve the problem.

Is it normal though, that the display time increases dramatically with the number of fields in a table?