PL/SQL .vs. Pro*C

From: <MatthewLF_at_pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 10:37:18 -0600

Am wondering if anyone out there has had experience using both PL/SQL and Pro*C. Specifically, I'd like someone to explain to me why I would use Pro*C to do something which could be done in PL/SQL. I have just been on a project which used Pro*C with embedded SQL to do all Oracle operations. I did not write any of the code myself, but I have written scads of PL/SQL. I found myself looking at pages of Pro*C and thinking to myself that I could do it much easier in PL/SQL since it was 95% data manipulation. The only argument I have heard so far is that Pro*C is faster than stored procedures/packages. If this is the only argument I'd like some feedback on just how much faster it is (all of our routines on this project are too small to do any benchmarking with). It seems to me that unless it is several times faster, the benefit of execution time does not outway the nightmare of maintenance time.

Thanks for any input.

Matt.
MatthewLF_at_pobox.com