Oracle performance decrease using Access7

From: Troy Perchotte <perchott_at_nospamdigitalcourier.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 17:21:00 -0700

I am trying to port an Access database to oracle. Their main table has 106 fields in it. After attaching the table in Access7, it takes about 30 seconds just to view the table, regardless of the number of records.

When I reduced the number of fields to about 20, Access then took about 8 seconds to display the data. After reducing it to 10 fields, I was able to get a satisfying 2 seconds.

I checked the ODBC connection using Oracle's test utility, and found the data to be displayed instantly even with all 106 fields (although the utility is limited to 100 fields). I haven't found anything weird in the trace log either (however, I'm not really sure that I know what to look for in there).

Is this normal? This is my first Access conversion. Does this happen to everyone else?

Troy Perchotte Received on Fri Apr 10 1998 - 19:21:00 CDT