Re: Oracle Vs. Dbase

From: <mpir_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 15:55:13 -0600

If you are dealing with a single user/single computer(pc) application, IMHO dBase or Access is better than Oracle. It is also an order of magnitude cheaper. Second factor, size of database. If a small single user, such as under 500M of data,depending on application. At 500mb I would need to know more about the application.

For multiple simultaneious users or large amounts of data, ORACLE. I used to say for over 4 users, but in recent years my experience is if there are more than 1 there are 5 or more.

As for getting data into the database, Oracle is somewhat easier in that its SQL*Loader utility can handle lots of formats. I have yet to see a load utility for dBase as flexible (except for the one's I wrote). That is not to say it is hard to get data into dBase, but it is less flexible with its SDF, etc.