Help with LONG

From: Rick Stacy <rstacy_at_variagenics.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 15:02:07 -0400

Hi,

Could someone please pass along some words of wisdom while I await the arrival of my documentation set?

Using the Oracle7 server, I want to insert character strings (up to 65K in length) into a LONG column. What is the best way to do this? When I tried to insert a 3K string via a basic INSERT statement I received the following error:

     PARSE caused a ORA-01704: string literal too long

I'm flying blind without the documentation, so any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--

Rick Stacy                        |
Senior Scientist, Bioinformatics  |  I didn't claw my way to the top of