Re: Q: Rollback

From: <rono_at_fl.envworld.com>
Date: 1998/04/09

When you first create an Oracle database and instance, it has only one Rollback Segment, named SYSTEM. This rollback segment is for use by the SYSTEM, not users. Therefore, you need to create additional rollback segments. The number and size depend on how your database is used. In a small, transactional system (small, quick run units) a minimum of three is recommended. They don't have to be very big (2 or 3 MB per segment). If you run big batch jobs with lots of database changes, you will want much bigger rollback segments, to the hundreds of megabytes.

The SQL command to
read over is CREATE ROLLBACK SEGMENT.

You will also want to list these new
rollback segments in your INITxxxx.ORA
file so they come back on line after
your database is restarted.

For your new user, read the SQL documentation on CREATE USER and
GRANT. In article <6gffme$hmo$1_at_news3.global-ip.net>,

"Anders Gunnare" <anders.gunnare_at_lla.sema.se> wrote:

> Hello World,

  1. I used the application Oracle Database Assistant
    > 2) I set up a
    "TNS-name" for my db with Oracle Net8 Easy Config
    > And did the test with
    system/manager
    > 3) I logged into to the database through/with SQL Plus8.0

  2. I create my tables
    > 5) I fill it with values
    > 6) I can do select,
    insert, delete and update

    > So far so good...
    >
    > Bu now I restart the
    machine.
    > And I logged into to the database through/with SQL Plus8.0
    > and
    tries to do an insert or delete.

    > But now I get the error "ORA-01552:
    cannot use system rollback ..."

    > At this point I would like to do the
    following:
    > 1) Create a new user/passwd with access to my db and which can
    do
    > select, insert, delete, update and commit.
    >
    > I would like this user
    to have the same permissions/privilieges as
    > scott/tiger to orcl.
    >
    > So my
    question to you is: