Re: RAM based database management

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_p3.net>
Date: 1998/04/09

Hi Femi,

Did you create an index on the table in question? If so is the most important column named in the where clause of your query the first column in the index? If the answer to these two questions is yes and you are running with Oracle 7.1 or later and using the Cost Based Optimizer have you analyzed the table?

If you have done these things it is time to start looking at the general environment you have set up on your system. Oracle is a highly tunable RDBMS and based on a two orders of magnitude difference between C++ and Oracle it sounds like your Oracle configuration and your query need a tune-up.

Regards

Jerry

        (snip)

--
Jerry Gitomer		Since I know how to spell DBA I became one.
jgitomer_at_p3.net