Re: Help! New user

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378nospam_at_deere.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 13:50:01 -0500

Yes, there is a reason this works:

Oracle, by default, keeps all column names in the catalog in UPPER case. We don't have to enter our SQL in upper case, the parser does the conversion for us.

However:

Some people like mixed case column names. The only way to get Oracle to record a mixed case column name is to wrap it in quotes. Having done that, you must forever refer to that column name in quotes!

Some tools (MS ACCESS) like mixed case, even in Oracle tables. I'll bet the Oracle table was created through some such tool. Of course, it could have been done in SQL*Plus by using quotes.