SQL Question

From: Matt Griffiths <nospam_itsystems_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 1998/04/07

All,
I am having problems creating a query/s and I am really in need of some assistance. I have 3 tables storing information about product defects. Each table has a PK uniquely identifying the defect, and the PK is the same in each table (FIND_ID). Without going into the details of why the tables are created so, (which is beyond my control) they can be summarised below. I will describe as best I can!!

TABLE_1

FIND_ID
WORK_STATION_ID
DEFECTIVE_SUBSYSTEM
DEFECT_SYMPTOM_CODE
PROBLEM_TYPE
LOG_DATE TABLE_2

FIND_ID
WORK_STATION_ID
ACTION_TAKEN
DEFECT_CAUSE TABLE_3

FIND_ID
WORK_STATION_ID
DEFECTIVE_PART
DEFECTIVE_CONNECTOR I am dealing only with the last 70 days information at any one time, (about 400 records) and have created a view which holds distinct defects (not including FIND_ID and LOG_DATE which make them unique). The view holds about 100 records.

VIEW_1

WORK_STATION_ID
DEFECTIVE_SUBSYSTEM
DEFECT_SYMPTOM_CODE
PROBLEM_TYPE
DEFECTIVE_PART
DEFECTIVE_CONNECTOR
DEFECT_CAUSE
ACTION_TAKEN Ok. My problem is that I need to work out and record how many of those 100 distinct defects occurred on EACH of the last 10 days (SYSDATE-1, SYSDATE-2 etc) using the LOD_DATE from TABLE_1. I need to either create a new view displaying this information, appended it to the existing view, or run it as a query or PL/SQL stored proc. I know that this is derived data and that 'officially' I shouldn't store it in the database, but I believe manipulating it on the client to calculate the figures would be extremely time consuming.

All suggestions, criticisms, and comments are extremely welcome.

Many thanks and Best Regards

Matt Griffiths
Matt.Griffiths_No_Spam__at_dial.pipex.com
remove "_No_Spam_" to email directly

Using Oracle 7.3 for NT
Client Development using VB5 Received on Tue Apr 07 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT