Re: newbie help please - SQL Plus DELETE

From: Jeffrey T. Kempiners <jeffrey.t.kempiners_at_ac.com>
Date: 1998/04/03

That was the one,
Thanks rono!
For those of you watching, the truncate command never did work, I don't think it's enabled in this version of oracle dbms. I removed the rows with batches and commits, too, but it was really slow, and it locked up the table. All that because i was forgetting the keyword FROM. Thanks again for the help, if any of you ever need a hand with some C++ syntax, give me a buzz...
-jeff

rono_at_fl.envworld.com wrote in article <6g3nqg$r59$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
> The proper syntax is DELETE FROM tablename;
>
> Don't forget to issue a COMMIT; or your actions are not visible to any
 other
> user.
>
> Your buffer overflow problem means that each record returns more data
 than
> SQL Plus can handle. Try selecting a few specific columns (SELECT col1,
> colu2, col3 FROM ....) instead of SELECT *. If you positively need
> everything, set ARRAYSIZE way low (1,2) and leave MAXDATA at 60000
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> In article <01bd5f2d$f21b89e0$f748020a_at_Jeffrey_.ace.ac.com>,
> "Jeffrey T. Kempiners" <jeffrey.t.kempiners_at_ac.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> > I'm attempting to delete all of the records from a table, effectively
> > clearing the contents of this table. This is a statistics table that
 we
> > clear out once a week.
> > I'm developing the application using Personal Oracle Lite 7 as the dev
> > environment, until we get the server up and running with oracle for
> > workgroups 7.3.
> > I have attempted virtually every documented SQL command I can find,
 from
> > truncate to drop to delete, and nothing will work. This table is quite
> > large by the time we're looking to clear it. If anybody knows the
 syntax
> > I'd use from an sql plus prompt to delete all the records while leaving
 the
> > table data and columns in place, i'd greatly appreciate it.
> >
> > second (and much more brief) question:
> > When I type the following:
> > SELECT * FROM SIR_TRACKING;
> > I get the following error message:
> > buffer overflow. Use SET command to reduce ARRAYSIZE or increase
 MAXDATA.