Re: Oracle services won't start

From: Helmut Hahn <Helmut.Hahn_at_bitoek.uni-bayreuth.de>
Date: 1998/04/03

Shenkiat Lim wrote:

> Hi, I have a problem with a machine on which I am trying to get Oracle
>
> client to run on. It originally had an Oracle 7.2 client
> installation,
> and the 16-bit Windows oracle stuff worked (and still works) fine.
> However, the 32-bit NT stuff doesn't work. I can't TNSPing any server
> at
> all. I tried reinstalling Oracle 7.2, but that didn't work. I then
> tried
> upgrading to Oracle 7.3, and it still didn't work.
>
> I believe the problem is related to the fact that the
> OracleTNSListener
> service does not start. When I try starting it using the services
> control
> panel, I get a GP fault.

Which listener does not start on the server or on the client? If client you need none!If server you have a server problem! I asume first. You could check the orant/network/admin/tnsnames.ora file. It should contain the same
entries (connectstrings and connect data) as the tnsnames.ora file in orawin/network/admin.

You must have orant/bin in your path and the Registry for LocalMachine/Software/Oracle/ must point to the right directories. But this is done through setup and works fine normally (at least if you were Administrator during setup).

Helmut Received on Fri Apr 03 1998 - 00:00:00 CST