SYSDATE strange behaviour

From: Martin Terpstra <terpstra_at_ats.nld.alcatel.nl>
Date: 1998/04/02

hello,

TZ = environment variable on unix which indicates

     the local timezone.
GMT = Greenwich Mean Time

The situation:

There are two unix machines.
On one machine the oracle database server is running in local timezone. When starting different oracle tools on both machines we get different values for the SYSDATE value !!

Oracle | machine with the oracle server | remote machine tool | runs on TZ=local(GMT+2) |
SQLPLUS | TZ=GMT                          | TZ=GMT

| sysdate in report | sysdate in report
| returns: GMT (not server) time | returns: GMT (not server) time

What is going on??

please also respond to my Email.

Thank you.

--
Martin Terpstra                     Alcatel Telecom Nederland
Software Design Engineer            Engineering & Development