Re: How to learn PL/SQL

From: Peter Schneider <peter.schneider_at_okay.net>
Date: 1998/03/31

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998 23:08:06 -0600, Christoph Ruepprich <flieger1_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>What is the best way to learn PL/SQL if you only have minor programming
>experience? Should you learn a language like VB, C++, or Java first?
>
>Christoph

Christoph,

it would a good prerequisite for learning PL/SQL IMHO if you had some experience with Pascal. This is a very fundamental procedural language with strict type checking and clean, consistent control structures. Learning C would not be very much use: in PL/SQL you will definitely not be fiddling around with bits or struggling with null pointers :)

I suggest that you get a copy of Steven Feuerstein's book 'Oracle PL/SQL programming' from O'Reilly. It's the best to start with.

HTH
Peter

--
Peter Schneider