Re: How to learn PL/SQL

From: Andrew Barnett <nobody_at_spamandeggs.bp.com>
Date: 1998/03/31

I would argue that PL/SQL is not a bad procedural language to learn programming. Being based on ADA, it at least might help instil some idea of good programming practice: little things like encapsulation and proper exception handling. The basic concepts of programming are applicable across PL/SQL or C or whatever.

Having said that, I would advise learning Java first. PL/SQL isn't a full language and lacks things that general purpose languages have. Neither is it properly object-oriented. Learn OOP to start with, and you won't face the battle of trying to unlearn older ways of doing things. Finally, I get the feeling that Java will probably displace PL/SQL as Oracle's preferred procedural offering.

Speak not of VB. Yes, one can program well with it, having learned on something else, but I don't think it does much to encourage and enforce such practice: it suffers too many hangovers from old versions of BASIC.

--
Andrew - Wizzard

barnetaj_at_bp.com

John Leggitt <johnml_at_istar.ca> wrote in article
<Bn%T.70$U55.903414_at_NewsRead.Toronto.iSTAR.net>...

> I would not advise someone to learn Oracle as a first language. By
learning
> the fundamentals of C (use text-based to see results of program
structures)
> or VB (more visual), one can learn the principles of algorithms and logic
> and then move to Oracle. I would then advise learning SQL next so that
you
> understand how to access a RDBMS. Then you would be ready for PL/SQL.
When