Re: SQL*Net compatibility issue - pl. help

From: John Leggitt <johnml_at_istar.ca>
Date: 1998/03/29

Go to http://www.oracle.com/products and you may be able to download another trial version; otherwise in the Free Software section you may find an ODBC driver that works.

Another thing you may try is setting up an SQL*Net alias using SQL*Net Easy Configuration and simply give the IP address of the NT server with the Oracle Database. Use SQL*Plus to test your connection and put the alias as the Connect string. It works fine. I can log on to my company's Oracle Server from my home using an alias I created with SQL*Net that came with Personal Oracle. No ODBC Driver is necessary. I can even do it with a VB front end with an Oracle Data Control - again no ODBC.

If you are referring to connecting from another computer in the same network, then SQL*Net should be fine unless you absolutely need ODBC for some other front end like VB. Then try downloading as I suggested above.

Good luck!
JohnL