Re: Program too large

From: Mark Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 1998/03/26

B. Lelangue <lelangue_at_sia.ucl.ac.be> wrote >>
> When I want to compile a package body
> sqlplus answers "PLS-00123: program too large"
<< and asked if there is any way to tell Oracle to allocate larger internal blocks to packages.

I know of no way to allocate larger compile space to packages.

More importantly, I want to point out a problem associated with the use of large packages. With versions of Oracle at 7.2 and below ( and I believe, but have not fully tested our 7.3 system) to execute a package Oracle must find a contiguous
chunk of space in the shared pool large enough to hold the entire package. When Oracle is unable to do this you get a 'program module not found' error message during execution of your application or an ORA error that tells you that you are out of storage. I think it is a 04301, but can not find it in my manual. But believe me, error number aside, large packages can present real problems that can be easily prevented by just breaking the code into a collection of smaller packages before you have problems.

Trying to be helpful. Received on Thu Mar 26 1998 - 00:00:00 CST