Re: BMC Patrol (Need your comments)

From: opus <opus_at_nowhere.ca>
Date: 1998/03/26

Peter Cugier wrote:

> Richard Creasey wrote in message
> > I'm soliciting for your comments on BMC Patrol as a Database
> >monitoring and data managment tool for Oracle & SQL Server.
> >
> >Please tell me what you suggest for a Enterprize DBMS Mgt.
> >tool.
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Richard Creasey
>
> I implemented BMC's Patrol two years ago as a centrelaized monitoring toll
> for the companies distributed systems. It is a great monitoring tool,
> especially if you want to monitor multiple different platforms and systems.
> We used it for Digital VMS, Digitial UNIX, AIX and Oracle. If you only want
> to monitor and manage Oracle and SQL Server databases there are probably
> better database management tools on the mark. Look at the tools form
> Platinum or Quest Software's AdHawk.
>
> I think Patrol is the right choice if you mainly want ot monitor your
> databases and also your operating system. If management is your first
> objective you probably should look at a different solution.
>
> Peter Cugier

Like Peter I have also deployed BMC Patrol for monitoring. It's very comprehensive, some say too much so but the company argues better too much than not enough as everyone wants something different. I find it okay if not a little overwraught but as soon as you figure out what you want to monitor then it becomes easier (there's a ton of Oracle parameters that are monitored). I do find it a bit pricey. If you just want to monitor whether the database is up/down, cache-hits, some of the basic stuff I'd say don't waste your money, use Enterprise Manager that comes with Oracle these days. It monitors quite a bit and it's free with your database purchase. Even better it's also for management eh.

Opus Received on Thu Mar 26 1998 - 00:00:00 CST