Supporting Oracle and MSSQL simultaneously

From: Mark Michaelis <mark_at_michaelis.net>
Date: 1998/03/25

Hi,

I have a software product that currently uses MSSQL Server. We are trying to port it to use Oracle as well. My goal is to have one source for both databases. The problem is I have stored procedures and user defined triggers. The syntax between Oracle and MSSQL stored procedures is significantly different as follows:
- SQL Server does not support the IN, OUT, IN OUT syntax. Instead it
uses OUTPUT. In both IN is assumed if not specified but Oracle requires the value to be provided when the procedure is called. SQL server allows a default.
- All arguments must be prefixed with and @ in SQL Server. This is
invalid in Oracle.
- All statements in Oracle must be terminated with a semi-colon.
Semi-colons cause an error in SQL Server.
- Oracle supports exceptions. MSSQL Server does not so error handling
is significantly different.
- Oracle does not support the PRINT statement. (Anyone know of a
replacement?)
- You cannot issue a SELECT statement in an Oracle procedure unless it
is a SELECT INTO.
- SQL Server requires SELECT @x = 1 when assigning a variable. Oracle
requires SELECT 1 INTO x FROM ...
- Other stuff I haven't encountered yet.

So...My question is what is everyone doing in order to support multiple databases simultaneously. PowerDesigner seems to be no help with stored procedures and triggers.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks very much in advance for any help.

Sincerely,
Mark Received on Wed Mar 25 1998 - 00:00:00 CST