Re: Oracle Vs. SQL Server on NT

From: Nabil Courdy <moab_at_emirates.net.ae>
Date: 1998/03/25

>I'm curious about Microsoft's way of controlling concurrency. I've
>never worked with SQL Server 6.5. What does exactly "page-level
>locking" mean

A page level lock locks one page (ususally 2K). So all rows residing on that page will be locked. However, some products like Ingres allow for different table structures in order to cluster your data in a way to avoid contention. I do not beleive that SQL Server offers that feature. SQL Server 6.5 does supprt row level locking for INSERTs. SQL Server 7 (Sphinx) does support all around row level locking.

>How does SQL Server 6.5 handle isolation between transactions? Which
>of the following levels of isolation defined by the SQL standard is
>the default?

In SQL Server 6.5, transactions are implicit. Therefore, one must resort to BEGIN TRANSACTION and END TRANSACTION to delay the commits.

Nabil Courdy