Performance Question

From: Steve Rafferty <sraffert_at_umabnet.umab.edu>
Date: 1998/03/25

Hello everyone -- and thanks for the advice from those who responded to my performance question regarding ORDER BY. I have managed to improve performance considerably, but so far, not enough. I am running Oracle8 Server on a Sun Netra with 128M of memory. I have a table with 90,000 rows, each of which comprise 55 fields (VARCHAR2 mostly). The table is bibliographic records and the primary type of SELECT is of a regex 'like' variety.

I have improved performance mostly by increasing the size of the sort_area and a few other init parameters. When I started attempting to tune, a simple query took 105 seconds to complete -- now, a simple query takes 35 seconds to complete.

My question is: Is this reasonable for a table of this size/description in this environment with that type of query? I had expected it to be quite a bit faster.

I have some ideas as to how to change the way my application works to get the user some data to look at more quickly, but I'm interested in seeing what people who actually know what they're doing think of these performance measurements.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Received on Wed Mar 25 1998 - 00:00:00 CST