Re: Oracle Vs. SQL Server on NT

From: Bill Grant <cwgrant_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1998/03/24

On 21 Mar 1998 20:44:34 GMT, "Livia Squires" <livia_at_berlandtech.com> wrote:

>I am in the early stages of designing a retail order processing system that
>will accept and process order requests from the internet, an in-house
>customer service department, and in batch mode from files received from a
>third party telemarketing company. The system will have to process credit
>card transactions. It will have to track inventory and integrate with
>accounting software that I have not yet selected.
>
>Within a year, the database could grow to be 5 gigabytes, and should
>be able to process 30,0000 transactions/day. I have a budget of about
>$500,000
>to build this system over the next year - that should pay for new servers,
>network components, purchase of about 40 additional workstations, a T1 line
>to the ISP, software, licenses, consulting fees, programmers, etc.
>(i.e.,pretty much everything).

Sounds like you could use a scalable, integrated solution from a single vendor that won't break your budget.

Take a look at SYBASE ASE 11.5 for NT and SYBASE POWER-J Enterprise for WEB development. You get a very stable, high-performance database that can scale just fin on UNIX, plus you get a very powerful, integrated, and incredibly extensible development environemnt. Even the latest PC Magazine made it the Editor's Choice. If you need or want to, you can also use the Jaguar Component Transaction Server which might simplify your client code quite a bit. You also have integration with CORBA, ActiveX, and JavaBeans. You can choose to connect to ASE via JDBC or a Java/Sybase native client, Jconnect.

Given your time frame and budget, you can not afford to spend a lot of time integrating and debugging. I think this is your best bet.

Good Luck,
Bill Grant Received on Tue Mar 24 1998 - 00:00:00 CST