Exploding table into table with levels

From: Mark Aurit <mark_aurit_at_mail.northgrum.com>
Date: 1998/03/23

I have a 2 dimensional table, similar to:

father            child
FORDO          MERCURY
MERCURY     SABLE
FORDCO       FORD
FORD            ESCORT
ESCORT        LX

CHRYSLER PLYMOUTH
PLYMOUTH BLAZER
CHRYSLER DODGE Which I want to place in another table, broken down by levels, i.e.:
level1             level2         level3        level4       leveln....
FORDCO     MERCURY
FORDCO     MERCURY   SABLE
FORDCO     FORD          ESCORT
FORDCO     FORD          ESCORT    LX

CHRYSLER PLYMOUTH Ive been working with START WITH, but am not having a lot of luck, much of it conceptually - especially how to insert the values into another table.
Im on UNIX, so I can use scripts to supplement the SQL.

Any help, especially code snippets, is *greatly* appreciate.

Thanks, Mark
mark_aurit_at_mail.northgrum.com Received on Mon Mar 23 1998 - 00:00:00 CST