oracle backup script

From: Neelufar Hasan <Neelufar_hasan_at_mail.und.nodak.edu>
Date: 1998/03/23

I am trying to write a backup script to backup oracle files but having some problems with it. What is the difference between unix Tar cp, dd command? We have both raw and jfs
file system. I have used dd and cp to copy files. It seems that both dd and cp command is copying the whole allocated storage on to the target files. This is unacceptable because it's taking up a lot of Unnecessary storage space. We want to put the backup copy to a disk file, not on the tape. I would appreciate getting some sample backup scripts. Our platform is Unix AIX v4.2 and oracle 7.3.2. your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Neelufar Received on Mon Mar 23 1998 - 00:00:00 CST