Re: Oracle vs. Sybase.

From: jeffd <jeffd_at_allensysgroup.com>
Date: 1998/03/23

Todd wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What makes Oracle DB server superior to Sybase? Why should a company
> choose Oracle over Sybase? I'd love to hear any opinions on this.
>
> Thanks.

I don't think there is any question whether Sybase will still be in business. They are going throught the same slump that any database vendor or computer software company does when their products need revamping for competition. Remember IBM's stock drop to $40 and the big layoffs. They're back now.

I think you should look at the way you will use a database. For example, MS Server is only good with NT platforms and NT's clustering is not as expandable as SMP and MPP processor features found in Oracle and Sybase. Sybase is the world leader in replication, while Oracle's Web solutions wow everyone. So, you need to know whether raw CPU power, or the latest feature for replication and warehousing, or INTERNET/INTRANET topics are the hot item in your shop.

A lot of the tradeoffs can be seen in the DATABASE PERFORMANCE TUNING HANDBOOK available from Amazon.com Received on Mon Mar 23 1998 - 00:00:00 CST