Re: ORA-06136 and ORA-06108 ??

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1998/03/22

Dan Hopkins wrote in message <6etr2u$n2k$1_at_morse.news.easynet.net>...
>I'm getting intermittent ORA-06136 and ORA-06108's when trying to connect
>the DB via various perl scripts. None of the documentation at my disposal
>references these error codes.
>
>Anyone clarify this for me ?

06136, 00000, "NETTCP: error during connection handshake"

// *Cause:  Network I/O failure occurred while communicating with the
//          host's SQL*Net TCP/IP server.
//          See the SQL*Net TCP/IP server log file for more details.
// *Action: Contact your customer support representative.

06108, 00000, "NETTCP: connect to host failed"

// *Cause:  Connection attempt to remote host has failed. Probably means
//          that the SQL*Net TCP/IP server on the remote host is not up,
//          or the host itself is not up (check the latter by targeting
//          it with Telnet).
// *Action: Start the SQL*Net TCP/IP server process on the remote host.

Not sure how to fix these without more detail about your config and setup. Just make sure that you have SQL*Net installed on the client, TNSNAMES.ORA correctly configured and that when perl runs, the environment is correct. You can also test Oracle's client-server network connectivity using the program tnsping.

regards,
Billy Received on Sun Mar 22 1998 - 00:00:00 CST