Re: Oracle Vs. SQL Server on NT

From: Malcolm Blackhall <blackhal_at_midtown.net>
Date: 1998/03/22

You obviously don't have much experience with Microsoft SQL Server. I suggest you refrain from making comments about it, and misleading people trying to do their job, until you do.

How is $300 per concurrent user a bargain when you can buy SQL Server Client Access Licenses for about $100 in quantity?

You don't need SQL Server Enterprise for a 5 GB database.

Microsoft offers excellent technical support, i.e. Premier Support. Their SQL Server group has provided excellent support for me in the past including staying right on the phone with me as long as it took to get a production system backup up after a hardware failure.

Page level locking is not an issue in all but a few cases if the database is properly designed in the first place. Using clustered indexes appropriately can solve most contention problems. SQL Server 6.5 does support page level locking on inserts if you want to use it.

I have about 20 quad-processor SQL Server systems running under NT. They don't have to be rebooted much at all.

SQL Server installation is no more difficult than Oracle, just take the defaults if you don't care. Of course, some of the questions it asks you might actually be relevant to configuring your system, like what kind of network support you want. SQL Server also has an excellent administration tool called Enterprise Manager. Received on Sun Mar 22 1998 - 00:00:00 CST