Re: ALTER TABLESPACE SYSTEM RENAME DATAFILE ... ??

From: Eric Ladner <clad_at_pasms.chevron.com>
Date: 1998/03/20

Hmm.. The oracle docs I have say it can be done in the enterprise edition. The Personal oracle may not support it, but here is how I would do it:

  1. mount (but do not open the database)
  2. Copy (not move) the data file(s) to the new location.
  3. ALTER DATABASE RENAME FILE 'full path..' TO 'new full path';
  4. If everything works, delete the old file from the original location.

Eric Ladner
Chevron Products Company

Luis Moreno Campos wrote:

> I have way too much space in my 2 tablespace system datafile SYS1SID.ORA and
> SYS2SID.ORA, and I want to move them from drive C to drive D - I've done it
> with other tablespaces. Mine is a Win95 PC running both Developer and
> Designer on a Personal Oracle database 7.3.3 (I also have Discoverer admin
> edition).

[snip] Received on Fri Mar 20 1998 - 00:00:00 CST