Re: HELP: uncompress: corrupt input

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/03/18

In article <6edt5l$tst$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>, <smomin_at_skynet.be> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I usually performs the following to defragment an Oracle database
>* full database export
>* drop all objects in fragmented tablespaces
>* full database import
>
>To save space I use a pipe : the Oracle Export sends its data to a unix pipe
>and a compress command reads data from the pipe and puts it into a file.
>e.g. :
> mknod mypipe p
> compress < mypipe > expdat.dmp.Z &
> exp file=mypipe
>
>To reimport I do the following :
> imp file=mypipe &
> uncompress < expdat.dmp.Z > mypipe
>
>Unfortunately, the last time I defragmented our dev database I got the
>"corrupt input" message while reimporting the data.
>
>I have tried a zcat but I only get 8 megs from the 50 megs compressed file.
>
>Does anybody knows how to recover the compressed file ?

This probably has nothing to do with your problem, but I just nearly went nuts from it so I'm posting as a warning.

I do something similar to the above, except it's on Solaris 2.6 and I do the exports in cron. Naturally, after changing computers I goofed on the writeability of the directory for the compressed file. Wouldn't have been a biggie, except... the abort of the export apparently left some orphaned jobs about, which confused the subsequent cron job. So even though I fixed the write problem, I wound up with a newly created error output, that showed previous runs errors, and the run died. Hunting down and killing these orphaned jobs fixed problem. (Actually, I made the same mistake on two similarly configured computers, with similar results on each).

I had been under the impression that each time cron ran a job it re-read its commands, and only ran them. Then, when through, all subprocesses would go away. Oh well.

So now I'm wondering what other situations might give strange results due to orphaned processes. All I can recall seeing in the past is impediments to shutdown.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com