HINTS Problem

From: Andy Horne <sysadmin_at_vdoj.vic.gov.au>
Date: 1998/03/17

I have a query which has HINTS in it which is causing problems:

I have 2 databases, one V7.1.6 on SVR4 (Pyramid Nile) and the other V7.3.2 on Solaris 2.5.1. The V7.3.2 database is a copy of the V7.1.6 one.

The application runs a query which has hints in it. When it runs on the V7.1.6 database there is no problem (does a select by rowid), but when it runs on the V7.3.2 database it does a full table scan. The databases are identical as far as initialisation parameters are concerned, so I suspect that there is a change in the Optimizer causing the problem. If I remove the HINT then the query runs OK (ROWID), but the programmer doesn't want to have to change the code.

Does anybody have any ideas? I've tried setting hash_join_enabled = false but this had no effect.

TIA, Andy Horne Received on Tue Mar 17 1998 - 00:00:00 CST