ODBC Bypassing Oracle's Security :-(

From: Brian Graham <grahamb_at_qouest.net>
Date: 1998/03/17

I've set up an Oracle account where I've granted select priviledges only on the desired tables. I've then set up synonyms to the tables.

  When I used ODBC32 and MsAccess '95, I find that I can update the owner's tables directly, and via the synonyms I created. Again, the key word is UPDATE. I wanted read-only access.

  I've already tried adding a entries into PRODUCT_USER_PROFILE disabling updates and ODBC but that didn't resolve the issue. We are using Oracle7 32 bit ODBC driver (production) 2.5.3.1.0B .

  Any suggestions? I don't intend to turn an inexperienced user loose under these conditions. The intent here is to have LINKS to the tables, so the user gets updated information. For now I guess I have to go with snapshots of the database..

--
Brian Graham (grahamb_at_qouest.net)