Re: COMMIT frequency

From: Tad Davis <davist_at_isc.upenn.edu>
Date: 1998/03/17

Allan Speir wrote:

> The deciding factor here is performance. Normally committing aftr every
> update gives poorer performance than committing after each row.

In the type of program in question here, each row represents a single update. The routines I'm working with read a single table and update rows in that table on a case-by-case, row-by-row basis. There is no logical connection between rows. In that sense, a commit after every update is definitely cleaner.

Tad

--
Tad Davis                  Lead Programmer Analyst
davist_at_isc.upenn.edu       Information Systems and Computing