Re: Can Oracle 7.3 handle external authentication?

From: Ian Dixon <iand_at_syntaxis.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/03/16

In article <350914F5.8D1BB9F1_at_iquest.net> David K. Van Zandt wrote:
> I have need for my NT 4.0 client username and password to be passed
> through to my Oracle instances (so that the Oracle app doesn't require a
> second login), but the backend platform is HP-UX10. Some news articles
> suggest this is possible, others don't -- but most of them don't specify
> the hardware.

I've been able to do this using the same configuration.

You will have to enable remote_os_authent (?) on the server but, after that, you will be able to login to Oracle as the current NT user.

Having said that, I'm currently looking at how to either disable this or make it more secure. On our setup, it means that a clever user could login to their application account with sqlplus and damage the data. Use with caution.

Regards

Ian Received on Mon Mar 16 1998 - 00:00:00 CST