Re: sql*forms question from a newbie

From: Alan D. Mills <alanmNOSPAM_at_uk.europe.mcd.mot.com>
Date: 1998/03/16

This can be a bit confusing. The trick to Form3 is that you can save your form (source) in two ways and what's happening here is that the two methods are confusing you.

You can either store your forms as a UNIX flat file. This is the .INP file you started with. Alternatively you can store your form (source) away to database tables as well or instead of. Most people I know do not store forms in database tables unless you need to reference an object in the form into another one - then you have to. Most I know work from 'source' files (.INP). The follwing menu items from the designer are usefull.

LOAD - read in a source (.INP) file as the current form.
OPEN - select and read a form from the database tables source.
SAVE - Save the current form to the database tables source.
GENERATE - Fromteh current form. Write the source file (.INP) to the UNIX fiel system and also generate the 'executable' runtime file (.FRM) to the UNIX file system.

So, if you are using .INP files then you want to LOAD, modify and GENERATE in that order to maintain your source. And if using the forms tables repositary you need to OPEN (then you get the select list), modify, GENERATE (only for the purposes fo getting the runtime (.FRM) out, and then SAVE. Be very careful of using the two forms of source at the same time. It's easy to get confused.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Alan

--
Alan D. Mills

To email remove NOSPAM from address.

Martin Meadows <mmeadows_at_indy.net> wrote in article
<350C2332.7817_at_indy.net>...