Re: trigger

From: Mark Griffiths <mgriffiths_at_easynet.co.uk>
Date: 1998/03/14

Hi

I have had a similar sort of problem to yours.

The solution for being able to execute EXP commands from a database trigger is to use the package DBMS_PIPE.

The basic solution is to write a Pro*C program which logins into the Oracle database and then sits there waiting on the end of a "pipe".

Your trigger then writes to the pipe.

The Pro*C program then takes the message you sent it and either

  1. Executes the contents of the string directly via a "system" call or
  2. Looks up the appropriate command to execute and then executes the required string by making a call to the system function.

EXP is not an SQL*Plus external command.

You should also be careful as to the level that the trigger is defined. If you define the trigger for each row, you will experience a larger overhead than if the code is executed for each statement.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Mark Griffiths
Freelance Oracle Consultant.