Re: Oracle is painfully slow when doing massive INSERTs

From: Julio <julio.negueruela_at_si.unirioja.es>
Date: 1998/03/13

Joel Garry wrote:

> You need to get an experienced consultant, or a couple of good performa
 nce
> tuning books and a comfy armchair. In particular, you want to deal wit
> db blocksize, rollback segments, db block buffers,
> db file multiblock read count, logfiles, row chaining, pctfree, pctused
 ,
> initial, next and probably some other stuff.

I'm not sure if this'll be right but I think that you'd increase both SORT ARE SIZE and SORT AREA RETAINED SIZE, the first one at leas until you finish the insert operation. It's the maximun amount of memory of PGA that you can use for an external sort. As you said that some PKs and FKs where neccessary, their indexes will be so, and they have to be ordered.

Regards.

--

Julio Negueruela
DBA    Servicio Inform tico