Re: Is "long raw" a valid Oracle datatype?

From: Wolfram Schmidt <wschmidt_at_ikos2.iao.fhg.de>
Date: 1998/03/12

In article <34FDC8BC.41C6_at_bnl.gov>, Grace Tsai <gtsai_at_bnl.gov> wrote:
] When I do this:
]
] ====================================================================
] create table x (data long raw);
] select * from x;
] ORA-00932: inconsistent datatypes
] ====================================================================
]
] But this is ok:
]
] ====================================================================
] create table x (data long);
] select * from x;
] no rows selected
] ====================================================================
]
] What am I doing wrong? Is "long raw" a valid datatype? We are using
] Oracle 7.3.2 in AIX. Client platforms include AIX and IRIX.
] Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
]
] Grace Tsai
] Brookhaven National Lab
] RHIC Computing Group

I just discovered this today:

Oracle 8.0 3 on AIX.
Developer/2000 1.5(?) on NT.

I think Develoer/2000 1.5 is Oracle 7 based.

SQL*Plus from NT gave "inconsistent datatypes".

SQL*Plus from AIX gives

select foo_id, image from bar;

FOO_ID I
------ -

     1
     2
     3

... etc.

It seems to work. Note: the images are not in the database because we received them yesterday, but the rest of the data is already there. We'll see what SQL*Plus will do with them once they are loaded.

--
Email: Wolfram.Schmidt_at_iao.fhg.de
Voice: +49 711 970 2431