Re: I need a trigger to automatically extend the length of a column.

From: Andrew Barnett <nobody_at_spamandeggs.bp.com>
Date: 1998/03/10

Matthias Gresz <GreMa_at_t-online.de> wrote in article <6e3b2u$jv0$4_at_news00.btx.dtag.de>...
 <MichaelMacDonald_at_iname.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> its impossible to issue ALTER-commands in triggers since these commands
implicitely COMMIT, which is forbidden in triggers. Maybe you could use a pipe to another session to issue your modify there and
> waiting with your insert 'til you get the ok from the other session.

probably not, as the row lock is already in place by the time that the trigger fires, so the other session couldn't alter the table anyway.

Andrew - Wizzard

barnetaj_at_bp.com Received on Tue Mar 10 1998 - 00:00:00 CST