Re: partions in Oracle 8

From: A.E.Vervaeke <alanv_at_opustel.com>
Date: 1998/03/10

I used the Partition views in 7.3 and had some good experiences with them. Oracle8 looks even better because it is now a truly partitioned table. Just make sure that you choose your partitioning key correctly, keep the tables analyzed, always delete your statistics before you compute/estimate them, partition your indexes also, and one last thing - alot of places use partitioning for data that is not updated alot. Force batch updates to the table instead of online. Build unique indexes before the updates, and then drop them afterwards (if they are long complex indexes). Analyze your indexes separately. Build them in parallel unrecoverable where you can. Eat your vegetables. Spread all of the tables out over several datafiles if possible (depending upon the size). LIve long and prosper.

I offer all of this to you and I hope that some of it helps.

Alan