Re: partions in Oracle 8

From: victor tsien <vtsien_at_iris.ctd.anl.gov>
Date: 1998/03/09

I did partition tables when I was a ibm db2 dba in 1990. Two years ago I tested logical partition view (union-all)with Oracle 7.3 and last year Oracle 8.03 on Solaris 2.5.1. This year Oracle 8.0.3 on HP-UX 10.20 and Solaris 2.6, I found Oracle with partition option without index on a 5million-row table (history table size 800mb) with 24 partitions (two years) is 5 times as fast as conventional tables without index. I also noticed that partition table without index is faster than a convention table with index if the partition-by-range is the same as the index. I also tested it on SMP machine with 2 cpu with 4 disks. I set the degree at 4. With select...group by, it spawned into 8 slaves and was 11 times faster. Received on Mon Mar 09 1998 - 00:00:00 CST