Updating views that depend on multiple tables??

From: Peter Smith <psmith01_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1998/03/09

Hello,

I'm interested in knowing more about the ability to update/insert/delete rows in a view which is created from multiple tables. Ideally, I'd like to create a view from, say, 3 or so tables, update the view, then have the information reflected immediately in the underlying tables. It seems like this is possible with Oracle 7.3+, but it seems like there may be some restrictions. I'd like to see more documentation, etc. - maybe on the Oracle site somewhere?

I'm building an intranet app which will integrate various backend databases to create a logical view of data that is consistent with our object model. Am I likely to see widely varying degrees of 'updatability' from different databases? Is updating views done every day or is it 'taboo'??

Thanks for any info/pointers!!!

--Peter--
psmith01-at-mindspring.com Received on Mon Mar 09 1998 - 00:00:00 CST