Re: Advice on coding embedded sql in unix shell or C

From: <twod_at_not.valid>
Date: 1998/03/08

Simon (s_adams_at_hotmail.com) wrote:
: I want to embed sql in C or bourne shell. Are there any good articles or
: books to help me learn.

For C look at the Oracle books on the OCI or pre-compilers. Not sure of any good books in this area other than the Oracle manuals and documentation CD. There is a bit in one of the Oracle Press/Osborne books - Oracle Developers Handbook - but it's not too detailed.

If you are going to embed the SQL in bourne shell, you should consider writing it in PL/SQL and storing it in the db. This would depend on what you are doing in the code or with any output.

A happy medium of the above would be to use Oraperl and/or the DBD-Oracle modules for PERL5 - www.hermetica.com for more info, follow the PERL links. This site also has documentation and examples.

IAP

--
I am using anti-spam measures, please replace 'not.valid' with 'value.net'