Re: Oracle with Java - Protocol Violation

From: John R. Howey <jhowey_at_ford.com>
Date: 1998/03/05

thrasher_at_pacific.net.sg wrote:

> I'm using Oracle 7.3.4 with Java JDK 1.1.5 and Oracle JDBC Type 2 Thin
> Driver version 1.0 and I regularly run into an SQL exception "PROTOCOL
> VIOLATION". Sometimes, I also get an exception "TYPE BIGGER THAN
> MAXIMUM". Pls note that this problem doesn't always occur so its kinda
> hard for me to trap the bug. If anyone out there has any input for me,
> any help will be greatly appreciated. U really don't know how big a
> problem this is causing me. Thanx in advance.
>
> Pls mail replies to <andrewby_at_hq.psa.com.sg>

  Oh yes I do know how big a problem it is. I have experienced it, I have given a test case
to Oracle and they are working on a fix for it...They have hinted that it will be in the 7.3.4.3 drivers
that should be out soon...but please don't quote me on it. I basically encountered it when retrieving large
>1000 VARCHAR2 or LONG fields. One workaround is to retreive only 500
chars at a time and then
concatenate them on the client... Received on Thu Mar 05 1998 - 00:00:00 CST