OCI Debugging Problems on AIX + GNU

From: Patrick K. <patrick_at_boxsoft..NO.SPAM..com>
Date: 1998/03/05

Hi all,

   I am having some problems debugging an OCI application    that I am involved with.

   Some info first:

      Platform is:      AIX 4.2 PowerPC
      Compiler:         GNU's gcc version 2.7.2.3
      Debugger:         GDB 4.16 (powerpc-ibm-aix4.1.4.0)
      Oracle:           Version 7.3.2

   The application is desigened to take advantage of piecewise    insert and fetch of Oracle 7.3+ for binary large objects    (BLOB). I am trying to test this functionality with a    simple application which uses our OCI wrapper interface.

   Extra info:

      The basic idea is, given a valid file name, the contents of
      the file are piecewise inserted into the BLOB table, which
      has a LONG RAW column for this purpose.  The size of the
      chunks (pieces) is determined by a .ini file (set to 20k).

      The procedure is:
        1. Connect to db
        2. Ask user if operation is INSERT or a FETCH
        3. Ask user for the name of the input or output file
        4. INSERT or FETCH dpending on user reply in step 2
        5. Disconnect from db

   Main Problem:
      If I run the application off the command line it connects
      to Oracle fine, asks the user the two questions in steps
      2 and 3, but when trying to continue with step 4 it produces
      a segmentation fault and exits.

      Now, it is clear something is wrong in the OCI wrapper I
      wrote.  However when I try to use gdb to debug the application
      seg faults on step 1!!

   Question:
      Is there a trick in debugging OCI applications that I am
      not aware of?

   I even tried debugging the application using dbx (IBM's    debugger) with the same results as gdb.

   Any help would be appreciated.

   Thanks in advance! :-)

Patrick ...
patrick_at_boxsoft.com

P.S. If it isn't too much to ask, could the replies be cc:'d to

      me at my e.mail.address? Thanks again! Received on Thu Mar 05 1998 - 00:00:00 CST