HTML and Oracle using UTL_FILE

From: David F. Clipsham <clipsham_at_aol.com>
Date: 1998/03/04

I am creating HTML with <-- Special Comments --> in it so that I can use PL/SQL to recognize the special comments and add database generated material. For example:

<Body>
<-- Insert Oracle Table Here -->
</Body>

So, I want to read this html file from a unix system with Oracle 7.3.2 using Oracle's UTL_FILE package. When the PL/SQL code sees the special comment in one of the lines it reads in, it replaces the comment with the results of a query.

I have seen that it is necessary to have the location of any files used by UTL_FILE initialized in the init.ora file for the database instance, and I have done so. The problem is that I still get a trappable UTL_FILE.INVALID_PATH error every time I try to open my html file for reading using the FOPEN command.

Can anyone shed any light on proper formatting of the necessary lines in the init.ora file? Is there something else that might be the problem?

Thanks, Dave Clipsham
dfclipsham_at_mindless.com Received on Wed Mar 04 1998 - 00:00:00 CST