Re: SQL Server vs Oracle Replication

From: Thomas Drolshagen <tdrolshagen_at_scope.ch>
Date: 1998/03/04

Hi Chuck

(I tried to send this mail to you personaly but there was a problem with
your e-mail address)

I think we're dealing with the same problems. We're a small Microsoft Certified Solution Provider Company in Switzerland. Our world is Microsoft and we're developing client/server systems using VC++,VB and SQL-Server.
Using these tools we developed a C++ Framework with classes for errorhandling, database handling, controls and document view classes ans an AppWizard which creates you an Access like application with all that functionality a database app normaly uses (search functionality, keyword assignment, mail-merge, printing, sorting, list-and detailview...). After using this framework for some SQL-Server apps we now have a customer which wants to use Oracle.
So we're extending our framework to work with Oracle. As you said the beginning with Oracle after working with SQL-Server is not an easy step. But we're getting it done.
Thinking of SQL-Server 7 I would take care of this .0 version. As I read in many newsgroups this release is developed completely new in many parts any I would not use this version before 7.1 or later. I think Oracle has the advantage that it's much more robust than SQL-Server 6.5.
(It didn't crash since our install 2 month ago)
Have a good day,
Thomas Received on Wed Mar 04 1998 - 00:00:00 CST