Re: Case insensitivity in frontend queries (2nd Posting)

From: Raj Gabriëlse <Raj_at_Botany_Bay.Con>
Date: 1998/03/04

Dmitry,

That's the 'trick', by ensuring that the value of *any* 'insensitivecolumn' already is in all uppercase *before* it get's entered, then there is no longer a need to also apply a function on the 'insensitivecolumn' field. As a result, a present index will nolonger be ignored, since you now only have to apply the function to the supplied criteria.

Apart from the already mentioned drawback (it's a *real* disk eater, especially the indices), there's yet another one, not that obvious. As it turns it, this method is no solution in my case. I can not control the frontend in such a manner that the generated SQL only applies upper to the criteria. It insists on also applying it to the column to be matched against...

ah well, can't win'em all appearantly. Probably means I'll have to learn how to create my own specialized NLS settings files or something (still think the answer *has* to be searched in that direction)

Anyone else with a Eureka moment? (the one below still is a great method if you can use it)

Raj Gabrielse