SQL Questions.

From: Bernadette <b.pinto_at_zetnet.co.uk>
Date: 1998/03/03

I'm using Personal Oracle 7 for Windows 95 (SQL Plus 3.3). I am fairly new to Oracle and wonder whether anyone can answer the following questions:

If an equi-join is conducted without a where clause, why will a 15 row table joined to a five row table return (15 x 5) 75 rows?

Why are views slower to use than tables? Also, I heard that this no longer was an issue with the newest version of Oracle. Is this true?

What are the pitfalls of using sequences in a multi - user environment?

Is a SQL query (I.e., SELECT * FROM MYTABLE WHERE MYCOLUMN > 10000;) generally referred to as a query, statement or transaction?

If the system.dual table stores the date, etc., why can't I see anything when I select * from dual;?

If you grant DBA to someone, do they have all priviledges? Someone told me you had to also grant connect, resourse, etc... What's the correct answer?

I know how to create an index, but how do they work? Are they stored as part of the table or part of the data dictionary? How does Oracle know to refer to them?

Thanks very much for taking the time to read these messages.

Best wishes

B. Pinto Received on Tue Mar 03 1998 - 00:00:00 CST